I applied for the American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Personal credit card for the 2nd time last week during my triple credit card churn attempt. I wanted to test if the AMEX SPG credit card is churnable. In other words, I wanted to see if I could cancel and apply for the AMEX SPG for the 2nd time and receive the 30K bonus again after 1 year of cancellation.
American Express’ terms state the following:
“Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months.”
Here is the history with the American Express Starwood Preferred Guest personal credit card:
- Applied for SPG American Express Personal credit card on 9/22/11
- Cancelled SPG AMEX on 8/22/12
- Applied for SPG AMEX on 8/25/13
- Approved on 8/26/13 after calling reconsideration line and closing my AMEX Costco Card.
- Received and confirmed 30K bonus on 9/1/13 via phone.
Churning AMEX SPG Steps:
1. I applied using the Credit Karma link on my website. I filled out the application by clicking “Go to Shorter Application”
2. At first I entered my user ID and password, but the following screen appeared:
3. I exited out and restarted the application by entering my AMEX Costco card I’ve had since 2006 below:
4. No message appeared that stated I was a previous card member.
5. Filled out the application and hit submit.
6. Checked application status here.
7. Called the reconsideration line at 866-314-0237 the next day since I applied on a Sunday. Gave the phone rep my SSN and she pulled up my application. She processed my application and immediately stated that AMEX only allows four credit cards per person. I would have to close a card to be approved. I offered to close my Costco AMEX card because I rarely use it. Note: Closing an old AMEX card does not hurt your average age because all your AMEX cards date back to your first year of membership.
I was able to cancel my American Express Starwood Preferred Guest personal credit card after about a year holding the card, wait 12 months, apply again, and be eligible for another 30,000 SPG points. Hence the title, AMEX SPG credit card is churnable every two years. The method above are the exact steps I did to be eligible for the bonus again. I think the business version would be the same, but I only tested the personal credit card. I’m not sure if the above method will be guaranteed for everyone, but it did work for me. So as a disclaimer, you are trying the above method at your own risk. Time to celebrate another 30K SPG points! I will post an update once points start posting.
Any questions on churning the AMEX SPG credit card, ask below.
Sign up for the best credit card deals below to collect points and travel with me and hundreds of readers for free!
Disclaimer: I may be compensated if you are approved for some of the credit cards listed above. Thank you very much for your support!