Reader Rob asks, “How many Chase credit cards can you have?” I often wonder about this question too. Does Chase limit the amount of credit cards you can have like American Express?
In my earlier years of applying for Chase credit cards (2 years ago), I kept applying and getting approved for Chase credit cards every time. Most of the time I would be auto approved, but after about the 3rd or 4th card I had to move some credit line around. Here is my history of Chase Credit Cards:
- Chase Southwest Premier Card (7/28/11) – Instant Approval
- Chase Sapphire Preferred (9/22/11) – Instant Approval
- Chase Freedom (11/24/11) – Instant Approval
- Chase Marriott (12/21/11) – Called to move credit line from Sapphire Preferred
- Chase Ink Bold (2/9/12) - Approved after verification.
- Chase Hyatt (5/2/12) – Cancelled Southwest Card to be approved.
- Chase Ink Plus (11/9/12) - Approved after verification.
- Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (11/9/12) – Called to move credit from Chase Sapphire Preferred
- Chase Priority Club Visa (5/23/13) – Instant Approval
- Chase British Airways Credit Card (8/25/13) – Instant Approval
I’ve never been denied for a Chase credit card by spreading out my applications and always paying in full and in time. In my earlier years with Chase, I didn’t wait at least 91 days because I did not have an organized way to apply. Since I was just starting out, Chase was handing out credit cards to me like candy. Eventually, they stopped auto approving me. However, once I started waiting 91 days or so, I received more auto approvals.
There were rumors that you can only have 4-5 Chase credit cards, but I certainly surpassed that rumor. I currently have 7 personal Chase credit cards and 2 business Chase credit cards. It was important to start building a good relationship with Chase by showing ability to manage my credit cards.
Here are some tips to help you with obtaining Chase credit cards (most are obvious):
- Always pay on time and in full
- Start your history with Chase as early as possible. If you don’t have a Chase card now, I suggest getting the Chase Freedom or Sapphire Preferred.
- Sign up for a Chase checking account, business account, or home loan with Chase to strengthen your relationship with Chase.
- Spread out your applications with Chase for higher chances of auto approval.
- Never cancel a Chase credit card without moving the credit line to another card or downgrading the card first.
- :Always call the reconsideration line if not automatically approved.
- If initially denied, proactively offer to move credit line around or cancel a card you no longer want.or need to be approved for another Chase card.
There is no set limit of credit cards you can have with Chase. It all depends on your relationship with Chase, your credit score, and maybe luck of the draw. Instead of the number of credit cards, Chase focuses on the amount of credit they will lend you. Even though you might be maxed out on the amount of credit Chase will offer you, they can raise the limit over time. I hit my limit at my 6th Chase credit card because they were unwilling to offer me more credit. Therefore, I had to cancel a previous card. Months later, I assume they lent me more credit because I was approved for additional cards without moving credit around.
How many Chase credit cards do you have?
Sign up for the best credit card deals below to collect points and travel with me and hundreds of readers for free!
Disclaimer: I may be compensated if you are approved for some of the credit cards listed above. Thank you very much for your support!