Earn 50,000 bonus points with Chase Sapphire Preferred®. Apply here before 3/5/2016.
I booked a one way trip to Hong Kong on Asiana First on a whim before the United devaluation hit. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I’m having trouble deciding on how to fly back and if I should visit another country on the way back. Maybe some of you guys can help me plan my award flights to Hong Kong or elsewhere.
My time is limited on this trip and can either be 3-5 nights. My current routing is:
LAX-ICN-HKG on Asiana First
Should I just stick with Hong Kong for 4 nights? I’ve been to HK before, but haven’t really ventured outside of the city. Some of the beaches and hiking look great and the weather is decent next month. However, I’m still debating on whether to book Korea Air first class back and stop in Korea or wait until Cathay Pacific opens up business or first class. The problem is that Cathay Pacific has been extremely stingy with their business or first class flights. They seem to only release seats way in advance or one week prior. That and also business class seats on Cathay Pacific have been selling to people on paid fares.
Korean Air is available now… but not sure if it’s even worth it to spend 1 day in Seoul because getting in and out of the city can be tedious.
Cathay Pacific is not available for the time frame I want. It seems like they are releasing business and first class seats just 3 days before departure or on Tuesdays. I need to fly back on either a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. I need two seats and many times they only release 1 seat from HKG-LAX. I could wait and do HKG-SFO-LAX, but I don’t really want to connect.
To sum it up my options are as follows:
1. Book Korean Air first class now and spend 1 or 2 nights in Seoul and cut Hong Kong to 2-3 nights.
2. Wait until Cathay Pacific opens business or first class and fly directly HKG-LAX or HKG-SFO-LAX.
I’m leaning towards flying directly home from HKG-LAX on business class or first if I can get it. My rationale is to get back as soon as possible in a comfortable way. I don’t mind taking economy class if that’s the last option. I could put an economy award on hold HKG-LAX as a backup when it opens. Should I keep waiting for Cathay? I want to secure something before I leave at least.
As of this posting, British Airways website is not showing Cathay Pacific availability. Hopefully it is only a temporary bug. I’ve been using the JAL site to look for tickets. Anybody having luck with last minute Cathay availability? What else can I do to plan my award flight back home?