US Airways’s loyalty program will soon merge with American Airlines. We don’t know the exact date but it might be soon. Now might be the last time to sign up for this credit card and it might be the last increased US Airways 50K sign up bonus.
Here are the details of the card:
Sign up link: The US Airways Premier World MasterCard®
Card Member benefits:
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after your first purchase and payment of the $89 annual fee*
- First checked bag free on eligible bags for you and up to four companions on domestic US Airways operated flights
- One companion certificate good for up to 2 guests to travel with you on a US Airways operated flight at $99 each, plus taxes and fees
- Priority boarding Zone 2 on US Airways operated flights
- Redeem miles for award travel on US Airways and American Airlines booked through usairways.com or US Airways Reservations
- Earn miles on every purchase with 2 miles for every $1 you spend on US Airways and American Airlines purchases and 1 mile for every $1 on purchases everywhere else
- New! Receive a 25% savings on eligible US Airways and American Airlines in-flight purchases
The best use for US Airways miles is the 120,000 roundtrip on Cathay Pacific first class from US to North Asia. I’ve yet to take this flight, but have booked it for a few clients and relatives. You can also go off-peak Japan (50K roundtrip economy) or off-peak Europe (40K roundtrip economy). If you fly US Airways metal, you can get an extra 5K off each way. Therefore, you can potentially fly from US to Europe for 30K roundtrip on US Airways metal.
Perhaps US Airways miles will be a lot more useful once they become AA miles because you can book one-way tickets. The major downside of US Airways miles is you are restricted to roundtrip tickets, which I don’t like because it isn’t as flexible. Nonetheless, it may be a good time to get this card if you don’t have it or haven’t had it in a while.