I really think the Plenti program is underrated. Right now, you can transfer 500 AMEX Membership Rewards to 750 Plenti points. This transfer ratio is quite good because each Plenti point is equivalent to 1 cent at Exxon Mobil gas stations. Why should you transfer a majority of your AMEX Membership Rewards points to Plenti? Because you can have free gas for two years with Plenti if you plan correctly.
I transferred a good chunk of my AMEX Membership Rewards points to Plenti and plan to transfer a lot more before the transfer promotion ends on 12/31/16. Why would you want to wait to transfer more points? Plenti points expire in two years.
My Experience Using Plenti at Exxon Mobil
Using my Plenti card at Mobil was not as straight-forward as I thought, but I have figured it out now. Here are the basic steps:
- Grab an empty Plenti Card from Mobil at the gas pump and register it online.
- Once registered on Plenti.com, transfer AMEX MR points to Plenti.
- At the gas pump, swipe your Plenti card first. I tried putting in my phone number and it didn’t work for some reason, so I recommend just using the actual card.
- Once you swipe your card, it will say “2,500 Plenti for $25?” Hit yes.
- Next, swipe your payment card. I used a Mobil gift card, but you can use a credit card.
- Finally pump your gas up to $25. If you have a big tank, do step 7.
- Before you get to $25, release the pump exactly at $25 or a bit less. If you release at say $24.77 then 2,477 Plenti points will apply to your pump and it will cost you $0.
- Repeat steps 3-7. It may be a bit of a hassle to pump twice, but you can pump say $45 gas this way. You simply do two transactions back to back.
My Plan for the Next Two Years
My wife and I don’t particularly drive that often and our average gas per month is about $150 total between two cars. At 24 months, this equates to 24 months X $150 = $3,600 in gas for two years. I would need 360,000 Plenti points to have $3,600 in free gas. Therefore, I would need to transfer 240,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points for free gas for two years in my case.
Free gas for two years with Plenti is a great deal, but I don’t have 240,000 AMEX MR points. I’ll transfer a majority, if not all, my AMEX MR to Plenti. After all, the end goal is to save money.
The alternative is that I can transfer AMEX MR to British Airways and fly to Hawaii on American Airlines for 25K roundtrip or transfer miles to Singapore Airlines and fly Singapore Suites for 75K miles per person. However, I still have a good chunk of Ultimate Rewards that can transfer to British Airways (and I also signed up for a 100K BA card) and Citi TY points can transfer to Singapore Airline miles. The only airline I would consider transferring to that Citi TY and Chase UR don’t transfer to is Delta. However, I think getting 1.5 cents per AMEX MR point is a good deal. Exxon Mobil gas stations are actually cheaper than other gas stations in my area. I understand that Costco has cheaper gas, but getting free gas for about a year or two is a great deal with Plenti. Is anybody planning to transfer points to Plenti?